Skincare For The Colder Weather
Author: Olivia - F&F Date Posted:13 May 2019
It’s that time of the year where we reach for warmer clothes, snuggly blankets and steaming cups of coffee. We change many things in our life as we transition from summer to winter, but what about our skincare?
In the summertime, our skin is oiler and more prone to breakouts. In the winter, the lack of moisture and humidity can wreak havoc on the skin, often causing dryness and irritation.
Here in Australia, the months of Autumn aren't super chilly, but the temperature drop is enough to create unwanted changes in the look and feel of our skin. In autumn and winter, we usually rely on artificial indoor heating to keep us warm. This, along with the colder conditions outside can mess with our skin! The key to beating dry, textured and irritated skin is proper hydration.
If your skin is feeling dry and lacklustre, read on to find out some of our favourite skincare products to use as the weather cools down, and some of our handy tips!
Here are some of our fave products:
Atom 100% Pure Moroccan Argan Oil – Argan Oil is a multi-action, multi-purpose ‘super food’ for the hair, skin and nails. It’s packed with vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, making it a perfect skin companion for autumn and winter. Use it to soothe coarse, dry skin.
Antipodes Divine Face Oil (Organic Avocado Oil & Rosehip) – This oil is perfect for dry and sensitive skin. Avocado oil works to plump up fine lines and decrease inflammation, while rosehip oil hydrates and nourishes the skin. It’s also great for aging skin!
Delicious Skin Soft Moisturiser – A thick, hydrating moisturiser for dehydrated skin. Organic cacao butter works wonders for irritated skin, so this moisturiser will soothe skin conditions such as eczema and provide long-lasting hydration.
How often are you currently exfoliating? Cell turnover for dry skin tends to be slower in the colder months. To uncover bright, rejuvenated skin, try increasing your exfoliation to 2-3 times per week. It will also help your moisturisers and oils to penetrate the skin more effectively. Shop our range of natural exfoliating products here.
We recommend the La Mav Exfoliating Scrub. It’s specially formulated with Jojoba Beads & Argan Oil to combat the dry, sensitive skin that we all experience in autumn and winter.
Some more useful tips:
- Avoid harsh soaps, fragrances and hot water on the skin. These irritants will strip the skin of natural oils and dehydrate the skin.
- Don’t forget sunscreen! UVB rays are weaker in the winter, so there's less chance of getting sunburnt, but the ones that cause premature aging (UVA rays) are present all year round! The Simple As That Sunscreen is light, non-greasy and perfect for the changing seasons.
- Make sure to stay hydrated in the colder months; we tend to drink less water and more tea and coffee when it’s chilly outside. Try some warm water with lemon if you can’t bear the thought of drinking cold water! Or this Skin Glow Tea from Love Tea is a great caffeine free alternative that helps to support clear, bright skin. Hydration from the inside out is super important to rejuvenate dull skin.
- Consume fatty acids in the form of flaxseeds and chia seeds to improve the structure and appearance of skin. Both seeds are incredibly versatile; try incorporating them with your morning smoothie or oats to promote good skin health. Or add some Pimp My Salad Sprinkles to your lunch or dinner - the Hemp Parmesan is great for topping on pasta, and contains an excellent source of Omega's 3 & 6.
- Also, make sure you're getting enough vitamin C and zinc to support the production of collagen. The Beauty Boosters Collagen C Tablets are formulated with vitamin c, collagen and amino acids to maintain healthy skin and reduce free radical damage.
- Give your dry lips some love! Try our Butt Naked Chai Lip Scrub to exfoliate and moisturise in one simple step.
At Flora & Fauna, we stock a wide range of oils, serums and moisturisers to nourish your skin during the colder months. As always - all products are vegan, cruelty-free and free of any nasty chemicals. Here's to happy, healthy and hydrated skin!