When Balloons Fly, Seabirds Die
Did you know that balloons are the #1 deadliest form of litter when ingested by seabirds? Seabirds are up to 32 times more likely to die when they swallow balloons than any form of hard plastic, according to the CSIRO.
That’s because seabirds, and other marine life, mistake balloon debris for food. If balloons are regularly eaten and ingested by marine life, it can lead to a loss of nutrition, internal injuries, starvation and death. This is bad news for all marine life, but especially when parents accidentally feed the balloon debris to their young.
According to Libby Hall, Manager of Taronga Zoo’s Wildlife Hospital, “We had a turtle come in recently that had four different colours of balloons in its stomach. It had a whole party going on in there,” she said.