Okay, so we admit we do love the convenience of picking up heaps of different flavours of tofu at our local supermarket and we're so happy with the popularity this plant-based protein has gained in recent years! This means vegan diets are becoming mainstream, right?
The only thing only downside to this is the plastic that this tofu is packed in. If you're trying to live a low waste life like us, it might be time for you to make your own tofu!
It's really not as hard are you think and once you get in the habit of doing it, it becomes easier every time you make it. Not only are you skipping out on the single-use plastic storing it in a reusable container, but you really start to gain an appreciation for how things are made and the simplicity of making it at home.
We've been chatting with Sydney vegan restaurant owner, Heaven Leigh who owns the popular spot Bodhi located in the heart of the city. Heaven has cooked up something special for you using our Mad Millie Tofu & Vegan Treats Kit. The best part is it only takes 1 hour to make.
Strap on your apron and let's get cooking!
1 Litre unsweetened soy milk
1 tbsp coagulant
*Coagulant is used to set your soy milk to make tofu. Ingredients: Glucono delta-lactone - yes this is vegan!
1. Pour soy milk into a cooking pot, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Add coagulant once soy milk is cool, stir gently. Leave it to set for 5 minutes.
2. Line your tofu mold with cheesecloth, and fold the cheesecloth onto the top surface of the tofu curd. Apply the pressing plate on top of the cheesecloth, pressing for 10 seconds every 5 minutes. Press for 30 minutes.
3. Drain the water if necessary.
4. Transfer the tofu block into iced water together with cheesecloth and leave for 5 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the cheesecloth from tofu and leave in the cold water for another 10 minutes.
6. Remove tofu from the water, leave it to dry for 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Cut to desired sizes and serve food fresh or cooked.
You can watch the How To Make Tofu video here: