It's Coeliac Awareness Week — so today we're helping to raise awareness, by educating you on, what it is, the symptoms, and what it's like living with a gluten-free diet.
There's no doubt a gluten-free diet can be a struggle, there are days when you simply don't want to worry, and grab that sweet or savoury treat you might be craving. Caving in though can range from mild to severe consequences for some. The good news is, we are so lucky to be provided with so many great options and alternatives that didn't exist until more recently. Now, you can go to most cafes, restaurants and supermarkets — knowing there are gluten-free options available.
To help you get started, our friends at Pimp My Salad, have joined forces with Instagram sensation, @thenourishedchef to put up a warm veggie salad recipe for you to try! It's vegan, 100% gluten-free and totally good! Check it out.
What Is Coeliac Disease?
Coeliac disease is an autoimmune disease commonly associated with a reaction to gluten. Gluten is a substance found in food like rye, barley and wheat. If people with coeliac disease were to eat gluten, they may experience, intense stomach aches, internal damage to the lining of their small intestine, or in extreme cases, it may affect other parts of the body.
Everyone's symptoms will vary, but here are some common ones:
- Diarrhea, constipation, bloating and cramping.
- Headaches and fatigue.
- Weight loss.
- A deficiency of folic acid, iron or vitamin B12.
- Skin rash.
- Osteoporosis, or pain in the bones and joints.
Did you know around 80% of people with coeliac disease don't know they have it? Early diagnosis is the key to reducing long-term health complications. That's why it's important that we learn about these symptoms and how to act accordingly now, even if that means removing certain foods from our diet.
Image: Instagram / @pimp.my.salad
Warm Veggie Salad | Ingredients
- 800g baby potatoes (washed)
- 1 red onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups asparagus (roughly chopped)
- 230g cannelloni beans (drained)
- A handful of Coconut Bacon
- A handful of Super Seeds
- ½ cup black rice (cooked)
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Cashew Parmesan
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
Warm Veggie Salad | Method
- Preheat oven to 200C. Slice potatoes into quarters. Place on an oven tray lined with parchment paper. Place red onions onto the same tray. Drizzle oil, season with salt and pepper, mix, and roast for 15 minutes.
- For the dressing, add all ingredients to a small bowl or recycled Pimp My Salad jar. Stir until you have a thick paste. Add a few teaspoons of water until you reach a runny consistency.
- Add asparagus and beans to the same tray. Toss and roast for another 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Arrange rocket into the bottom of a serving platter, add the warm veggies and sprinkle over a generous handful of Coconut Bacon and Super Seeds. Add black rice, drizzle over the dressing and enjoy!
How will you get involved this coeliac awareness week? Will you chat to your friends and family? Support a charity? Or learn how to make a gluten-free meal? Let us know in the comments.
Here at F&F, we sell many delicious Gluten-Free Treats! So, if you're looking for some more gluten-free recipe inspo, make sure to check out the blogs below: