In line with World Toilet Day, held every year on the 19th of November, we have put together the ultimate toilet cleaning guide, to ensure safe living and a healthy environment.
But before we get into the knitty gritty, let's take a look at what World Toilet Day is all about!
About World Toilet Day
World Toilet Day may sound like a funny one, but it's all about raising awareness to the whopping amount of people living without access to safe sanitation. What's the number you ask? 3.6 billion! What's more is, every day, more than 800 children die from diarrhoea linked to unsafe water, sanitation and poor hygiene. That's a global sanitation crisis!
On this day, we can take the time to reflect what type of actions we need to take, to tackle the crisis and ultimately achieve Sustainable Development Goal 6: Water and Sanitation for all by 2030. At this rate, we are far from achieving this goal and need to work 4x faster to ensure everyone has a safe toilet.
So what exactly is the problem? Well, inadequate sanitation systems spread human waste into rivers, lakes and soil, contaminating the water resources under our feet. But because this happens underground, the problem seems to be invisible. What you might not have realised, is that groundwater supports our drinking water and sanitation systems, food production, industrial processes and the healthy functioning of ecosystems. This is why, a safely managed sanitation system is needed to protect groundwater from human waste pollution.
This World Toilet Day, let’s help make the the invisible visible! Read on as we share our tips to ensure a clean toilet!
Image: Instagram/ @losingmyveganvirginity
How To Clean Your Toilet
Whilst no one jumps up and down for joy to clean the toilet — it's an unavoidable task. Here's our step-by-step guide to having a clean toilet:
- Start by popping on some Gloves.
- Pour cleaner around the toilet bowl. We use Simply Clean's Toilet Cleaner, which effectively cleans, descales and deodorises the toilet bowl without harmful chlorine. To use, start at the top of the bowl, apply around the circle and the cleaner will drain down the sides.
- Then use your Toilet Brush, to give the inside of the bowl a good scrub and clean, before then flushing the toilet.
- Next, spray and wipe down the exterior of the toilet. You can use a paper towel or cloth, to wipe with.
- Once you've cleaned the exterior, it's now time to clean the toilet seat. Simply Clean's Disinfectants, kill 99.9% of sickness-causing germs! You can again use a paper towel or cloth, to wipe the surface and then you can leave as is. No rinse is required. It's no wonder it's called 'simply clean'.
- When you've finished, remember to clean all the supplies you just used. After all, sanitation is key!
Tips For A Sustainable Bathroom
Following our our step-by-step toilet cleaning guide above, you can rest well, knowing all our cleaning products are made using natural ingredients and are free from nasties.
If you're looking to incorporate and make the switch to some better alternatives, the bathroom is a great place to start. Swap your toilet brush holder to an ethically handmade toilet brush holder made out of paper. Did we mention they are waterproof? Pretty cool right? Choose between a Granite Look or Concrete. Another easy swap is changing your plastic toilet bin bags to Compostable ones.
You may also like to swap out your hand soap for a Solid Bar Soap, to avoid using plastic. We have some great sustainable Soap Holders to have these lay on and keep the area clean. And finally, for decoration and nice smelling fragrances — make sure to check out our Room Sprays to pop on display, Ecoya's Diffusers are also a very nice touch for any bathroom.
How will you help spread the word about World Toilet Day?
If you're curious as to some other days that are celebrated throughout the year, make sure to check out the blogs below: